Juvenile Court - Traffic Court Information

Traffic Court Clerk Anna Groover - (912) 652-6720

Juvenile Court - Traffic Court FAQ's  

What will happen during the Juvenile Court hearing?
The parent and child are required to view a video at the beginning of court. If you are late for the video, you will not be allowed in the court room and your case will be rescheduled. When the judge is on the bench, it is your responsibility to listen carefully to the instructions. The hearing is considered an arraignment hearing wherein the police officer is not required to be in attendance. If the child admits to an offense, we will likely dispose of the case during the hearing. If the child denies the charges, a new court date will be scheduled, and the police officer and all witnesses will be subpoenaed to attend the adjudicatory hearing.

Do I have a right to an attorney to represent me in Juvenile Court traffic court?
If a child is accused of a traffic offense that has not been filed as a delinquent act, you have the right to be represented by an attorney hired at your own expense. You do not have the right to an appointed attorney at public expense. If you do not have an attorney, it is YOUR responsibility to notify the Court to request a subpoena. A subpoena is an Order by the Court demanding that a witness, document, or thing appear in Court.

What could my child be ordered to complete if he/she admits to or is adjudicated guilty of the traffic offense in Juvenile Court?
Your child may be ordered to (1) attend a defensive driving class (6 hours); (2) attend the P.R.I.D.E. class ( free of charge - 2 hrs. and a parent is required to attend with the child ; or (3) order the child to pay a fine (4) perform all of the above.

What are acceptable forms of payment at Juvenile Court?
The court accepts cash, money order or certified funds. No other forms of payment will be accepted.

Will my child lose his/her license or receive any points on his/her license?
  1. The court may hold your child's license as an in-house suspension or under certain circumstances may suspend his/her license until age 18.
  2. The Department of Driver Services also has the ability to suspend your child's license. Contact DDS at (678) 413-8400.
  3. The Official Code of Georgia 40-5-57 and www.dds.ga.gov outlines the points assessed for each offense. The Court is required by law to report any offense where points are assessed. IMPORTANT: If your child is ordered to attend a defensive driving class , the school or the court DOES NOT remove these points from your child's license. It is the responsibility of the parent or child to take the original certificate of completion to the Department of Driver Services. For additional information, contact the Governor's Office of Highway Safety at www.gahighwaysafety.org.

Will my child need to return to Juvenile Court?
If your child is ordered to attend the defensive driving class or to write an essay, you are required to return to court and show the original certificate of completion to the clerk's office. The essay should also be turned in at the Clerk's office. If your child is ordered to attend the P.R.I.D.E. class, the traffic clerk will receive the attendance list from Savannah Chatham Metro Police Department.

© Copyright 2019 - Chatham County Courts